Sunday, April 13, 2014

Do you Improv?

I have long been inspired by the incredible improvisational work by quilt artist Anna Williams and have been intrigued by the idea of sitting down at the sewing machine with nothing but scraps of fabric and a pair of scissors. I have tried improv quilting in the past with this small piece...


While the end product wasn't fabulous, I really loved the whole process of cutting with scissors, and stitching bits of fabric together and generally being inspired as I went along.

Many many months ago I received a beautiful parcel of sweet Oakshott Cottons called Impressions (thank you Michael and Lynne!).


I decided I wanted to use these delicious colours to make a larger improv quilt (click on photo to see closer).


The whole process was a lot of fun and very freeing. I'm pretty happy with the end result on this one too!


I really love seeing how other people create and make their quilts, so I thought it might be fun to show some 'step by step photo's on how I've made this improv quilt.


Over the next few weeks or so I will be showing how I started this quilt, how I put together some of the blocks, and the process I used to join all of the blocks together to make the quilt top.


So if you've never tried improv quilting before, maybe it's time to break out the scraps in your stash and have a go!!

19 comments:

carla said...

Hi Cathy!!!! I would love to follow along to see how you made this quilt!!!! I have been wanting to try improv!!!! I already follow you on GFC but also adding to my email so I won't miss your posts!!!! You improv quilt is really beautiful!!!!

Frog Quilter said...

I love to improv blocks. You never know what you will get. It's all fabulous.

Oops-Lah said...

I too love the work of Anna Williams and have often pondered over it, wondering what exactly makes it "tick". It's amazing how she cuts the fabric with her scissors on her knees. Your Oakshott improve quilt looks amazing and I'm eager to see how you got there.

Nedra said...

Very nice Cathy. I don't do improv, except for blocks requested through my Bee, but maybe someday!

Amanda said...

Love the quilt Cathy, I did an Afro American class back when I first began quilting probably close to 20 years ago and it was very similar to improv. I have made a couple of quilts over the years using this method and I think I have to be in the mood to do it. But you are right they are very freeing.

Pip said...

Looking forward to seeing your process of making this quilt. I love doing a bit of improv although I've only made small blocks so far, I like the feeling of freedom you get when you make them.

Shaz said...

I love improv Cathy! It is relaxing and very freeing - will look forward to seeing how you put that fabulous quilt together, you can be very proud of that one!

Susie said...

It looks fabulous!

pandchintz said...

Wow Cathy!! You've excelled at improv!! Can't wait to see the "how to's"!! Go girl!! xx

mamifleur said...

Wonderful modern quilt !
Nice colors ! Friendship

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love that quilt top and am really looking forward to seeing how you made it! I've done a bit of improv but not much...

Nifty Quilts said...

It's playful and beautiful. It wears a smile and a wink. Your white sashing and bits of black hold it all together very nicely.

Diane said...

I really like this quilt and think it would be fun to try. I've done a few blocks, but nothing on this scale. Thanks for sharing!

liniecat said...

Fabulous!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your Oakshot improv quilt is beautiful Cathy! I need to take the time to try more improv.

audrey said...

I'm just barely learning about improv. Wish I could take a class! Yours looks wonderful.:)

meli B said...

Some of the tiniest scraps can be put into improv quilts so that precious, favourite fabrics can still be used. I love the way you have slipped a little of Keiko into the blocks.

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

L E Antwis said...

It's really rather lovely! Linda