Friday, March 7, 2014

Cleaning out the Cobwebs...

...that have been slowly taking over this blog! You know how when you haven't done something for a while, it gets harder and harder to get back to it? So I'm taking a deep breath, and here goes!!! What has been going on for the past month? I will list it out under headings....

Husband
It was been soooo wonderful to have my hubby back! For three months over the Christmas break he was away on the high seas on a Navy ship (he is a navy Chaplain). I won't pretend that it was easy, three months is a long time, especially when he missed some significant days like Christmas, New Years, and a few birthdays including his own. Apart from that though, it was a worthwhile trip for him and he had some great experiences.

I love this photo of him in his navy uniform!!!

Lifestyle Change
As many of you know last year I began a program to learn how to change my very poor eating habits to eating a mainly plant based diet and I lost 17 kilos along the way. While hubby was away I'm afraid I slipped back into my old 'comfort eating' habits. I put a few of the kilo's back on, but more interestingly, the aches in my joints, the skin conditions that had cleared, and my poor sleeping all came back!! I am now renewed as far as changing to my better eating, which includes cutting out sugar, processed foods, meat, dairy and gluten (hubby enjoying this too). Our plan for this year is to cut these out of our diet at least 90 percent (except for processed sugar, cutting that out totally). So I am starting to feel better again thank goodness and am inspired to keep going and learn to make this a change for the rest of my life.

 Yummy vegie burger on spinach topped with avocado and organic eggs

Garden
While hubby was away I worked on a little courtyard garden, planting lots of herbs, vegies and flowers in pots, containers and baskets. We are so enjoying sitting in our little garden, watching the plants grow, and then picking from these to go into our lovely meals. There is something wonderful about cooking food you have grown yourself. It is incredibly satisfying.


Fabric
Lately I have been playing with some gorgeous fabrics. I'm having fun with these wonderful Kaffe Fassett stripes...


And pulling out some lovely 1930's type prints....


Both of these are being used in projects I can't show just yet, but they are keeping my creativity alive. We are just so spoilt for fabric choices these days and I'm so grateful that I can have time playing with all this colour.

Stitching
Some sewing I can show and I'm still working on slowly in the background are my beautiful Amitie bom Bring Me Flowers blocks. These blocks are so joyful to make and I have some finished blocks which I will show on my blog soon. In the meantime, I love this pic which shows the sweet old tray I found a couple of months ago which has been fabulous for keeping my current stitching organised....


I'm also trying to keep working on my Green Tea and Sweet Beans blocks...

These applique pieces are finger pressed and glued on, ready for stitching

Millie
This funny dog just keeps enriching our lives (she is a Groodle - poodle x golden retriever). She was fabulous company for me while hubby was away, though she really missed him and our oldest son who traveled to Japan for 5 weeks over Jan (he had a fabulous time there).


Well, I think the cobwebs are cleaned out for now. I will leave you with a photo of these pretty pink Dahlias, growing in one of the pots in our little courtyard...


I hope all is well with you? xo

25 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Lovely to catch up on your news...glad DH is safely home!

Jenny M said...

So good to read your post. 3 months, such a long time to be parted, the longest time my husband & I have been parted was 3 weeks and that was so strange, we didn't talk on the phone everyday, as he was in Turkey & Greece and I was in America.
Hang in there with your good food choices, your vegie burger looks so yummy.
Love all those fabrics, such wonderful colours.

Jan Marie said...

I love to hear about others accomplishments and I love Dahlias. Great post.

Anita said...

Love your blocks and 30s fabrics! Is it a specific line?

Nifty Quilts said...

It's so nice to "see you" again. I always enjoy your beautiful projects, in whatever stages they appear. Glad to hear you're feeling good!

Pip said...

Those fabrics are beautiful, will be looking out for future blog posts to see what you make with them, the Bring me Flowers blocks look lovely and bright.

Glad to hear hubs is back home safe, I used to enjoy it when mine went off on army exercises although the maximum time was 3 weeks, 3 months is a tad long.

Julie said...

What a lot to catch up on. Lovely photo of your hubby too - something about a man in uniform:. Those dahlias are gorgeous - I must grow some next year.

Amanda said...

Love Love Love Dahlias and your lovely stash of kaffe fabrics. I'm trying really hard to blog once a week... got to say it is hard some weeks when I feel I haven't achieved anything.

Charlotta said...

Where do you live? Must be in the Southern Hemisphere somewhere? Looks like summer and it's so cold here (This minute, I'm in Georgia, but I live in Kentucky) now.
I too, love the pic of your husband! Love his smile! And all your quilting work and fabric is beautiful - this is my first visit to your blog! Sweet pooch!

Liz said...

Your hubby is a bit of a cutie! I can see why you want to show him off. Lovely fabric too. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Alison said...

So good to have you back. I was worried you had totally gone off track and given everything up. It must be so hard for you both when he is away. enjoy every moment you have together.

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Cathy! I'm happy to hear from you and that you continue the great diet! I just wish I could ...
Beautiful projecst and Fabrics! x Teje

Salley said...

Only a weeny slip...Cathy...so inspired to know you are back on track.
And those blocks, and slices of fabric look way better than blocks of chocolate and slices of pie!

Carla said...

What a lovely post, Cathy. Thanks for sharing and catching up!

Dee said...

Oh Cathy! I've missed your happy posts...but thanks for sharing your son's adventures on FB!

Soooo glad your hubby is home! Mine works insane hours (12-16) a day fro Jan-May, M-S and sometimes Sundays, it is hard to have them gone so much! Enjoy him and your garden.

So proud of you for your renewed resolve...you are inspiring! Thanks for giving us a peak into your projects...beautiful, as always!

Else Marie said...

Lovely fabricks, beatyfull stritches.
Wonderfull food. Have a good day.

Julierose said...

Oh have to love Millie's Teddy Bear! ;--))
Your KF stripes are gorgeous and the retro fabrics are lovely...can't wait to see what you do with them. I am sort of on a little blogging vacation, also...it must be this icey cold weather here,,,,hugs, Julierose

liniecat said...

That healthy eating is obviously worthwhile I must try this myself!
Love Millie what a lovely mix! - and actually hubbys kind of cute too lol
fabulous fabrics on them there flowers! beautiful ~

pandchintz said...

Aww - lovely newsy catch up. Thank you. Think of you often. x

myBearpaw said...

Lovely to hear all your news Cathy! Sounds like things are going well and I am very pleased you are going to keep going with your healthy eating (that plate looks delicious) and I can't wait to see what you are making with those gorgeous fabrics!

Michelle@factotum-of-arts.com said...

You have been busy , nice to see you back :-)

Sandi said...

Great to hear from you. Your flower pots look great,fab use of your baskets! I am really loving all the Kaffe Fabrics too! :)

Melody said...

Great to have you back.

Sarah said...

Hi Cathy, great to hear from you! You know, it doesn't matter if you fall off the wagon, it's whether you get back on or not that counts in the long run. I'm so happy for you that you are getting back into your healthy eating habits again. I wish I could follow your excellent example! Your husband is a good looking' fella too. xx

Sonja♥ said...

3 month without husband... that must be loooonnnnnng!!!