Monday, March 31, 2014

A Trip and Bits and Pieces

There will be something more substantial on this blog soon I promise, but in the meantime, here a few instagram photo's I took while away in Sydney a week or so ago. I flew up there with a couple of gorgeous girls (Emma Treehouse Textiles and Deb 72 Derwents), our main goal being to visit a few fabric shops (of course!). We stayed near the Hyde Park Memorial and reflection pool which is so beautiful at night...


...and walked all over the place, which was just as well for all the amazing food we ate (including a brekky at Bill Grainger's yum!). First visit though was to Material Obsession, I do love that place. An hour or two spent there along with a little cash...!


Kathy Doughty's new book Adding Layers is a treat, full of inspiration and colour and energy, just like the woman herself!!! Alas she was away the day we were there, but all the staff at MO are so friendly and helpful we felt right at home. Then we were driven by a lovely friend I met in MO (Hi Jenna) over to visit Quiltsmith. Another hour or so and cash spent then onto lunch at 3pm!

The next day we were up and walking to a fabulous fabric find called Cloth Fabric. Wonderful screen printed designs on natural fabrics, rugs, bedlinen, art, etc kept us amused and delighted for a long while! I came home with this wonderful linen large flower print. This is a close up of one of the flowers, I will show more when I get to quilting it.


A must do trip to Manly on the ferry topped off the evening with a fabulous pizza dinner at Hugo's. I did get the usual tourist photo of the opera house on the way back, the moon overhead was a nice touch!


The next day was brekky at Bill's then back home again, these trips are always over too fast! 

Since then I've been doing some secret sewing which I can't show just yet, as well as working away on getting this beast quilted. I'm doing this totally on the machine. Because it has been hand paper pieced, I wanted to quilt it in a manner that it will not ever come apart, so the machine it is. Photo's soon hopefully.


As well as that I've now finished hand quilting all five long flower panels on this quilt....except I haven't had time to take a photograph, so this is an older pic!...


Now just the borders to be done! 

So that is me for now. Oh, except to say I am teaching one of my free motion classes at Treehouse Textiles in a few weeks (sat 26th April). There are two spots left if you have always wanted to learn how to quilt using the free motion technique. You can also expect a delicious morning tea and lunch, good company as well as a stunning view of the lake. See you there. xo

8 comments:

Maree: said...

Sounds and Looks like a Nice Trip Away with the Girl's...Always works Wonders.
xx

Dee said...

What a lovely trip to share! Love all the photos! Esp the fabric in the first shot! Your quilts always amaze me and the quilting is amazing!

Pip said...

Lucky you getting to visit Material Obsession, it is on my bucket list - one day. Love the little bit of the FMQ you have shown, very inspiring.

audrey said...

Lucky you!!

Anna said...

The photos are wonderful from scenery to fiber...ahhhh

Andi said...

What a fabulous trip!! And great loot too :-)
Your free motion quilting looks incredible. I'd love to do your class but I have no chance of a whole day off at this stage :(
Andi xx

pandchintz said...

What a fabulous trip - such fun and great goodies!!

Karyn said...

Sounds like a perfect trip!